The Virginia Tech Undergraduate Historical Review welcomes submissions from all current or recently graduated undergraduate students at four-year Virginia colleges and universities. Submitted manuscripts must adhere to the following guidelines:
- All papers must be based on original historical research. They should include a fairly extensive historiography section and a clear thesis that is integrated throughout the body of the paper. This is a helpful primer: How to Write a Historiography
- Manuscripts must be submitted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org attached as a Microsoft Word document.
- Submissions must be between 12 and 30 pages of manuscript text.
- Papers must utilize the Chicago Manual of Style format and include accurate and complete footnotes and a full bibliography.
- Any figures, illustrations, tables, or photographs must contain proper copyright permission for use. Securing permissions are the sole responsibility of the author, and the VTUHR requires documentation of permission for work protected under copyright law.
- All submitted manuscripts should have our cover page attached as the first page of text.
- All papers should be written in 12 point, Times New Roman font with page margins set to one inch. For additional format and style guidelines, please consult our style sheet.
- Any maps, illustrations, figures, tables, or photos used in a manuscript must obtain proper copyright permission before submission. In addition, every submission must be accompanied by a completed copyright letter to ensure compliance.
We accept submissions on a rolling basis, and you may submit a manuscript at any time:
- For publication in our Spring issue, manuscripts must be received between August 25 and January 10. Submissions received after this date will be considered for the subsequent issue.